Indianapolis Indiana Temple

Indianapolis Indiana Temple
Indianapolis Indiana Temple

Monday, March 28, 2016

Week 40 - Happiness is the Reward

Dear Mom,

Haha thank you for sending me that Easter egg hunt invite! Good times. I wish I was there to get that egg cuz you know I would have. 

Heimuli Family Easter Egg Hunt invitation
But since Bo and Harry got it I hope they enjoy it. I'll get it back when I come home but that's not for awhile so they are off the hook till then :) Like you I'm glad no one got hurt haha. Harry's protective gear made me laugh! 


Ready to hunt (aka battle) for the golden egg...just missing Elder Heimuli!
And thank you for the Easter package!!! I loved it and so did our zone haha! 


Elder Heimuli & McCloud made Easter goody bags for all the missionaries in their zone

My favorite part though was being able to read all of those funny and loving letters. And Harry's awesome drawings :) And seeing the pics of those aloha outfits on the babies, they are so cute!! haha Keep sending me more pics and vids!



How lucky are Hendrix and Kiegan that their grandparents go shopping for them in Hawaii?! I bet it was fun. Bummer you only got to stay for like a day. Hope Lani feels better and I hope Dallin recovers as well. Tell them both I love them! And congrats to Lana! She will be a great mom!!

I hope Grandpa continues to go to the temple. Glad he has some clothes that fit now. I know it must be very hard when even Grandpa has a hard time, But I also know he will always pull through! Heavenly Father has a special place in his heart for Grandpa. He is my example of temple attendance and a righteous patriarch. I hope I can be just like him. In fact every day it seems I have a chance to think about how grateful I am for the many examples I have had in my life. Hema, Helam, Hevynn, Bo, Alyssa, Norma, Harry too, my grandparents and so many people have influenced me to be better. I hope and pray that I am able to live up to their examples and expectations, and that I can be to someone else, what all of them have been to me :)

Serving here in Niles is a lot of hard work and I love it. It's also a lot of responsibility and I'm slowly getting the hang of it. Some days are better than others but everyday there are people in our zone who need our help. So I try my best, I try to stay positive and I hope that it is enough. 

Elder Heimuli's parents received President Cleveland's letter last week
Fortunately, McCloud is awesome. He works hard and he's great. Our ward had a pinewood derby so we decided to make our own cars so we could join them haha!! Unfortunately we lost but it was still fun.

Elder Heimuli and McCloud with their pinewood derby cars
So this week has been a struggling week for us. Not many people were kind to us but hey whatcha gonna do. We received a call Monday night from the guy who was on date for baptism. He said he didn't want to do it anymore and doesn't want to speak to us anymore either. We were pretty depressed. No, we were very depressed. It was sad. However we prayed hard and we knew we got our answer when we felt that we just needed to go out and work. Of course tracting sucks. I'll be honest, it does haha. Not many people actually want you there and we can tell. But we were obedient and we still did it. By Friday we were so tired of it. We were pretty close to just going back to the apartment, sitting down and just stopping. But then we realized we had a lesson with a part member family. We thought, "Well, we need to go." 

We taught the plan of salvation. And I was reminded again how much God loves His children, every single one. We actually didn't plan on inviting this guy to baptism this early because he used to be pretty hard core anti Mormon. But we did. And he accepted. It makes me emotional again just writing to you about it. I can't even tell you how grateful I was and how humbled I was at that moment. God rewards diligence and obedience. And He will always give us a reason to keep going. We finished out the week strong and even picked up a new investigator that we will be teaching this Friday so I'm excited :)

Besides finding and teaching people we also go on a lot of exchanges with other missionaries. Some areas or companionships just need a boost so we go to see how we can help. I actually really like these because I get to know the other missionaries better than just knowing their names.

On exchanges with an Elder Blakely...from Bountiful :)
Looking back at this week there's no doubt that God is involved in His work. And make no mistake it is HIS work. It's not mine or president's, it's His. And I'm happy to be part of it. Nine months have flown. I have learned alot in this time and I know I still have alot more to learn. During hard weeks like this one I rely alot on the things I've read or heard. This week I remembered a quote my trainer taught me. I loved it so much I wrote it down because it applies not only to missionary work but to each of us as we work on being disciples of Christ! 

Obedience is the price
Faith is the power
Love is the motive
Spirit is the key
Christ is the reason
Happiness is the reward :)

This quote is my favorite and tells me exactly how I can have happiness. It's similar to one of my favorite scriptures D&C 93:1

1 Verily, thus saith the Lord: It shall come to pass that every soul who forsaketh his sins and cometh unto me, and calleth on my name, and obeyeth my voice, and keepeth my commandments, shall see my face and know that I am;

I testify that if we come unto Christ with faith, being willing to obey all of God's commandments lovingly, and always reaching for the companionship of the Holy Spirit we WILL have happiness.

Anyways that's what stuck out to me the most this week. Love you and I pray for you all always.

Ofa Lahi Atu!

Elder Heimuli

No comments: