Indianapolis Indiana Temple

Indianapolis Indiana Temple
Indianapolis Indiana Temple

Saturday, March 25, 2017

Letter 8 - Which One Am I?

Hi Mom!

So Michael did come to church and he is currently on date for April 22nd!!!! He is coming this week too so that is very exciting!!!

I hope dad's better soon. That has to be rough. I know things will get better. He's such a tough guy, too, so no matter what happens he will pull through. Glad your boss let you take care of dad. I'm not sure if your boss will even care that I said this but tell him thank you from your son out on a mission. I will pray for dad (since that's pretty much all I can do at this point). 

Haha, I already bought the supplements, lol, but not to get bigger. In fact I've just been trimming down and running. I'm down about 5 pounds right now and still dropping some weight. Hev just sent me the workout regimen from dad so I'll be doing that in my next area :) I've been running about 2 miles every morning, and then some core and weights. Then at night I stretch and jump rope and I have a ladder.

As for the work, mom, it's been crazy busy this week. I won't go over the whole schedule because you might think it's boring haha. But it's been busy because zone conferences were Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, then Temple Day was today and Transfer Call Day was today as well! 

So it's been a lot of things just kind of compiled into one busy office week. We planned, set up, trained and cleaned up like we always do. 


I'm usually taking the pics, but I got in this one, since it is the very last ZC I'll ever get to plan!
So worth it to support all the missionaries and be able to see them learn and grow.  
It's been great to serve behind the scenes
But these two AP's are awesome, and I honestly don't need to worry at all. They are wayyyyyy better than me haha! Speaking of transfers...guess what :) I'm going to Columbus again with Elder Quick!!!!!!! It's official. We are finally going to work together for my last transfer. I'm so excited :) I called him this morning to give him the transfer news and he thought I was lying. Haha! It took me a bit of time, but I finally convinced him :) Anyways, the next 7 weeks are going to be a blast and we are going to work our tails off. I'm gonna have to move to keep up with him :)

So instead of a weekly run down this week, I think I just want to tell you a couple of things I've learned from my privilege of working with two Mission Presidents. 1) THEY LOVE THE MISSIONARIES. Really, that's the biggest thing I've learned. I don't think anyone can really comprehend it. It's crazy how much work the mission president and his wife put in. So much love and prayers and soooooo much time. They sacrifice their own leisure time so the mission runs smoothly. They don't really have a P-Day and you know what? They're okay with that. They really and truly want to do that so that the missionaries are taken care of. Just like you and Dad, I see such a huge correlation in parents' love for their children and in our mission presidents and wives and their love for their missionaries. Yet folks still complain when no one ever realizes what's really going on behind the scenes. I've gained a whole new appreciation for their work and they've taught me a lot about judging people. I've learned that judging is hard NOT to do! We can all sit there and judge all we want. It's easy, too. But if we don't look past our judgments, we are going to miss the real needs of the person. Am I good at it yet? No, not at all. Do I need and want to work on it more especially after the mission? Yes I do. 

Next I've learned to skillfully avoid people's questions when it comes to transfers...how? I just pretend I never heard their question, and I just carry on with the conversation :) Haha. Ok, maybe I'm not skilled at it, but I've learned to do that!

Another thing I've learned from my year as an assistant is that having a big truck takes a lot of gas. So I'll probably never get one....we will see where life takes me on that one ;)

I also know that "position" doesn't really matter. But I've learned many things about being a leader that I would have never learned if I didn't serve in this capacity. First, I've learned that a good leader doesn't need to "Check Up" on people. I'm not there to just prod them along. I'm there to help with their workload, to constantly ask how I can ease their burdens, and help them help themselves when it comes time for heavy trials and tasks. I know I can't lift every bit of their burden, but I can help alleviate it. In football, which captain is better? The one who yells at the team, telling them to do better, then just carries on with his own work, OR the captain who cheers on his teammates, runs with those who are lagging behind, offers help with the important stuff outside of football to ease their burdens. Who is the leader? Which one am I?

I've learned also how much I hate meetings now ;) Haha, so that's what you do just about everyday at work and in the evenings and on weekends too, huh? It's worse than tracting all day!!! It really is!!!!!

All in all, I've learned alot. But I think the biggest thing I've learned is that God always qualifies those He calls. Elder Mortensen and Elder Clark were the AP's who trained me and Elder Wimmer and I remember they told me something that I still do today. They asked God, in prayer daily, for the talents and abilities to perform their tasks and duties. They prayed for talents!!!! It sounded weird to me at first but then when I started doing it I noticed the things that were hard and scary for me as an assistant weren't that bad anymore. God will give you the ability, you just have to show your availability to Him, and let Him work with you. 

I am very thankful for this chance I've had to serve in this capacity, but I am ready to head back into the field for my final transfer :)

I'm thankful for President and Sister Carlson and their patience with us ;) They have to deal with a lot! They are truly humble and dedicated disciples of Christ. I love them and am so thankful for them. President and Sister Cleveland as well were just tremendous examples to me, and they personally helped me out a lot. A lot of the early missionary lessons I learned were under them and they pretty much nurtured the early greenie Elder Heimuli. I am so thankful for their work and their dedication.

Anyhow, those are just a couple things I've learned and I am looking forward to learning other things this transfer :)

Love you mom. Tell everyone hi for me!!

Ofa Lahi Atu!!!!

Elder Heimuli

Love you mom!

No comments: