Indianapolis Indiana Temple

Indianapolis Indiana Temple
Indianapolis Indiana Temple

Saturday, June 18, 2016

Week 52 - Enjoying the Journey

Hi Mom!!

Awww those babies are soooooo cute! It's crazy how big and how smiley they are both getting. Just too cute! Hendrix is turning 1 already? :(  Just makes me think how much bigger he and Kiegan will be when I get home. Speaking of that, everyone was looking good in those photos you sent, especially in that Lagoon Day photo. I forgot to mention it last time, haha! 

Everything here is going great! This week was President and Sister Cleveland's Farewell Conferences. 

L to R: With Sister Kip Cleveland, President Steve Cleveland and Elder Wimmer. I've learned so much from these people.
Even though I always have to speak or teach, I really love these conferences. It's always great to see everyone.


I think I told you already we are sending another great group of missionaries home in just a few weeks. 

The CREW!!!
President gave great training on "Enjoying the Journey." I think everyday we go through missionary work, or life in general, with a grim attitude. But when we enjoy the task at hand, make it fun, or do it gratefully with a different attitude, we can feel joy in our heart. It's not goofing off, that's not what I'm saying, but it's just finding joy amidst the work and trials we experience. 

Oh, this week we went on exchanges with the IU ZL's Elder Holle and Elder Larson! They are awesome. Me and Elder Larson hit our year together on our exchange:) I love these guys!
Ecclesiastes 5:18-20 is a scripture that came into my mind when President gave his training:

"Behold that which I have seen: it is good and comely for one to eat and to drink, and to enjoy the good of all his labour that he taketh under the sun all the days of his life, which God giveth him: for it is his portion.  Every man also to whom God hath given riches and wealth, and hath given him power to eat thereof, and to take his portion, and to rejoice in his labour; this is the gift of God.  For he shall not much remember the days of his life; because God answereth him in the joy of his heart."

Just doing me at the conference
It kinda made me think about it, too. Am I truly enjoying my work as a missionary? And in turn, am I working the hardest I can? It was such an inspired training. 

Wimmer and I gave training on Endings and New Beginnings. Because the Clevelands are leaving, President wanted us to concentrate on helping the missionaries make the transition from him to President Carlson. I know it's an important time for all of us. I can't begin to say how grateful I am for President and Sister Cleveland. They have been so good to, and for, this mission. 

Me, Elder Tafuna and Elder Taka just jammin and singing for President and Sister Cleveland!
While preparing our training Elder Wimmer and I enjoyed thinking of and talking about a bunch of memories of how President and Sister Cleveland have helped us personally. 

I'm gonna miss the Clevelands
Even though our time with them is ending we are excited for another new chapter to begin with President and SIster Carlson.

So that's been the highlight of my week! 

I can also tell you what hasn't been the highlight! Elder Wimmer decided to buy the 2nd hottest kind of hot sauce in Indiana...here they literally call it Da Bomb. After seeing what happened to a few people who tried this hot sauce we decided we'd just throw it away. And maybe one of these days I will be better at learning to go with my decisions. However, I thought I'd just get one little taste in before we tossed it out.

Mom, I thought my face was about to explode! I threw open the fridge and started shoveling whatever I could find into my mouth (as you probably remember, I do that anyways!) just trying to calm down the fire in my head. In the fridge all we had this week-old chicken and rice thingy. Gross huh. And I wiped it out. After eating it all I wondered why my mouth felt hotter. Later that night after the fire had calmed down I realized it was spicy Oman chicken rice. I was literally just making it worse haha. However, I learned a valuable lesson...I will never ever ever ever ever eat anything spicy ever again. So that's my down this week. But other than that it's been a fun and exciting week! 

Well, as you can see we had muffins for zone conference. I ate a lot of them.
It feels so weird that I've hit my one year point, and now I feel even more urgent in this work. I feel like I need to get going even more. This coming year will go by even faster than the last one!!

Anyways tell the family I love them, Ofa Lahi Atu!!!

Elder Heimuli

P.S. About your letter mom, I just have to say it again. I will never date a Poly. [Note from Mom: Hmm, famous last words.]

No comments: